WITH VACATIONS FINALLY APPROACHING FOR EVERYONE ANOTHER WORLDWIDE PHENOMENA IS ABOUT TO RESURFACE: THE TOURISTS INVASION
Wherever they are, tourists are commonly known for their questionable outfits, colorful palette, sunburnt skin – the not-so-photogenic other half to the more conventional tropes of Summer’ white sand, sunsets and honed bodies.
Photographers like Martin Parr and Charles H. Traub documented people on vacation as they drink, sweat, walk, smoke, shop or bask around the places they’re visiting.
There are also hundreds of tourist customs and superstitions associated with monuments worldwide – some ancient, others more recent – and of course their legacy is happily fostered by many explorers, like the Ponts des Arts, the Paris’ famed footbridge, partially collapsed under the weight of its so called “love locks” (padlocks attached to the bridge railings by love struck couples), or the Bocca della Verità, in the portico of the Basilica of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, Rom, that according to the superstition the sculpture is a form of polygraph test, also featured in the movie Roman Holiday, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.
Tourists seems always at odds with their surroundings, you can recognize one at first sight, they stand out like a flashlight in the dark as they attempt to experience as dictated on the Lonely Planet website.
1. Martin Parr, The Ocean Dome, Miyazaki, Japan, 1996
2. total look Emilio Pucci S/S 16 (emiliopucci.com)
3. The love locks of Pont des Arts, Paris
4. total look Tommy Hilfiger S/S 16 (tommyhilfiger.com)
5&6. Martin Parr, The Last Resort, 1983
7. Stella McCartney slingback espadrilles (stellamccartney.com)
8. Dita eyewear ‘Stormy’ sunglasses (dita.com)
9. total look Lacoste S/S 16 (lacoste.com)
10. photo by Charles H. Traub
11. Assouline “In the Spirit of Palm Beach” book (assouline.com)
12. detail House of Holland S/S 16 look (houseofholland.co.uk)
1. the Bocca della Verità in “Roman Holiday”, 1953
2. Martin Parr, the Acropolis, Greece, Athens, from Life’s a Beach
3&4. photo by Charles H. Traub
5. Martin Parr, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, from Life’s a Beach, 1990
6. total look Gucci S/S 16 (gucci.com)
7. Être Cécile, flamingo print striped t-shirt (etrececile.com)
8. Mira Mikati, desert print woven hat (miramikati.com)
9. total look Chanel S/S 16 (chanel.com)
10. Assouline “In the Spirit of Beverly Hills” book (assouline.com)