BESIDES MY FASCINATION FOR THE WORLD OF PARTNERSHIPS, LOVE AND FRIENDSHIPS BETWEEN HUMAN BEINGS, I FIND MYSELF CONSISTENTLY INQUISITIVE OF THE PERIOD OF LIMBO THAT HAPPENS AFTER A LOVE STORY ENDS; BEFORE IT TRANSFORMS ITSELF INTO SOMETHING ELSE. PERSONALLY, I’VE ALWAYS STRUGGLED WITH THE TRANSITION, DANCING UNCOMFORTABLY IN THAT GREY AREA OF LATE NIGHT PHONE CALLS AND AWKWARD COFFEE DATES FOR A LONG TIME, YEARS EVEN, BEFORE BEING ABLE TO LAND INTO A SPACE OF GENUINE UNMASKED AFFECTION AND OCCASIONAL RELAXED HANG OUTS.
Cody and Julia are a beautiful tandem to me for their ability to balance the trajectory of going from strangers to best friends to sweethearts to ex-lovers. All the while working together, successfully, side by side, as Juco (jucophoto.com).
Julia Galdo and Cody Cloud crossed paths at the San Francisco Art Institute in 2002. Although the photographic collaborative duo grew organically through class assignments since the moment they met, Juco wasn’t officially founded until 2009. Juco owes its name to the fusion Julia and Cody’s first two initials. It has offered its creative endeavors to the pages of Teen Vogue, Nylon, Tokion and lists clients such as Target, Sony and Nike to name a few.
I met Julia and Cody in 2009 on set as a model. It’s interesting, four years later, to switch sides of the camera and have them share their stories with me, and the vulnerability that can come with it. I interviewed them in Eagle Rock, where they live, on a sunny California morning. I left in a state of melancholic serenity, craving a Sunday morning at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, an afternoon at the beach, delicious food, and, while driving away, I found myself thinking of those life changing encounters that never fully fade away.
A BEAUTIFUL PLACE
• City: Los Angeles.
• Restaurant: Roscoes Chicken and Waffles (roscoeschickenandwaffles.com).
• Cafe: Little Flower Candy Company (littleflowercandyco.com).
• Bar: The Rotating bar at the Bonaventure.
• Clothing store: The Goodwill on Western.
• Design store: I don’t shop at the design store.
• Museum: Natural History Museum in New York (amnh.org).
• Hotel: The Shady Dell (theshadydell.com).
• Holiday spot: Kauai (gohawaii.com/kauai).
• Spa: Wi Spa (wispausa.com).
• City: Lisbon, Portugal.
• Restaurant: El Bravo in Phoenix, AZ.
• Cafe: 9th Street Espresso in NY… on 10th street (ninthstreetespresso.com).
• Bar: The closest one to where I’m at.
• Clothing store: Savers on 35th ave and Bell in Phoenix, AZ.
• Design store: Meritalia (meritalia.it).
• Museum: MOCA at the Pacific Design Center (moca.org).
• Hotel: The Shady Dell, in Bisbee AZ (theshadydell.com).
• Holiday spot: B.V.I. (bvitourism.com).
• Spa: Olympic Spa in Korea town (olympicspala.com).